This has been a busy past month. Lots has been happening, and I haven't taken the time to write about everything. So I thought I would just hit a few of the highlights:
On Thursday, April 17, I went to the White Willow reception center and reserved it for Tiffany and Greg's wedding luncheon there on Saturday, Oct. 18. So that's all set. Also, Karalie had her fourth and, hopefully, final chemo treatment. We're glad she's gotten along as well as she has--due mainly to her positive attitude about everything.
On Saturday, April 19, I went to lunch with Karalie at Trio in Salt Lake to celebrate her final treatment and to have some really delicious food before her taste buds disappeared again for awhile. It really was very tasty (sundried tomato flatbread, salad, and squash ravioli). I gave her some dangly "peace" sign earrings to go with her biker head wraps. Also, the 19th was the opening day of Tiff and her Classmate's Big Exhibit at EIU: "The View from Here to There: The Aesthetics of Travel in the Rural Midwest." Finally, it was done! Tiffany especially liked having Dr. Rugh come from BYU to be the opening day speaker. Greg and his mom, Pam, were able to attend the dinner that evening with Tiff along with Dr. Rugh, so that was nice. I'm looking forward to seeing the exhibit when I go pick up Tiff in May.
On Tuesday, April 22, Steven and I went to the devotional at the MTC where Elder Gerald N. Lund was the speaker. He spoke about the "Miracle of the Book of Mormon"--how it is a miracle (1) in coming forth, (2) in consistency, (3) as a witness for Christ, and (4) in doctrine and power to change lives. He gave several examples of how the Book of Mormon is a miracle in each of those four ways. It was a great talk.
On Wednesday, April 23, I went to Lindy's to pick up Sidney for a little outing while Lindy took Riley on her fieldtrip to Thanksgiving Point. Sidney and I went to Wal Mart to get a few things. While there, Sidney told me about all the good food in there and about all the pretty clothes that Gramma should buy. She was very chatty and opinionated. After Wal Mart we went to our house to see Uncle Rico and have a few snacks. Then we went back to the Barretts where Camden had just gotten home from school and Lindy and Riley had returned from the fieldtrip which really wasn't that fun for Riley because it involved animals, which are mortifying to her. Lindy made me a tasty Thai Veggie Burger wrap which was most delicious and which I must find out how to make! That evening I had dinner with my club friends at Sandy Dallin's beautiful home in Stone Gate and we watched the movie, "The Painted Veil", which we all enjoyed. Susan Rogers had picked up some great Chinese food at Shoots. It was yummy! Everyone was there except for Johnnie Sue, who was unable to make it, so it was a lot of fun. I was collecting money for Colleen's and Karen's upcoming weddings and for a sympathy gift for Sandy whose mother-in-law had passed away, so I was busy gathering money.
On Thursday, April 24, I went to the Hobble Creek Barn Boutique in Mapleton with Lindy, Riley and Sidney (Camden was at school). As soon as we got out of the car Riley said, "I smell cow poop." Sure enough, there were cows across the street. I pointed to the cows and her little hand tightened it's grip on mine. I explained the cows were inside a fence, but she was still nervous. We had a fun time at the Boutique. We didn't have Sidney's stroller, so of course she wanted to walk around and touch everything and tell us all about it. After the Boutique we went to Cracker Barrel for lunch. I knew it was a mistake as soon as they led us in to the back room. Our waitress was totally spacey and could not get one thing right. She obviously had something going on in her life that caused her mind to be someplace else, but it made for an unpleasant dining experience when you have hungry children wanting their food (and a hungry gramma and mom). We couldn't wait to get out of there. I didn't know you could have a bad eating experience at CB, but we had one!
On Friday evening, April 25, Steven and I went to watch the girls while Lindy and Nate went out to eat for Nate's birthday which was on Thursday. We had a lot of fun playing and eating lots of pretend food. Actually, Lindy had picked up some Subway sandwiches for dinner, so we had some good real food, too. Later that night, about 9:00, Sarah, Joel and Eliza arrived from South Carolina. We were glad they had had a good trip and arrived safe and sound. Eliza settled in to her bed in the study and went right to sleep. We're looking forward to a fun summer with them.
On Saturday, April 26, we celebrated Great-Grampa Taylor's 90th birthday over in Springville. It started with an Easter egg hunt out in the field at 11:30 followed by a short program and lunch. The great grandchildren all enjoyed making a haul of eggs and candy. For the program, each of Grampa T's kids (those who were there) told a memory of a time they had spent with their dad. The lunch was spearheaded by Barbara who had her special "Cafe Rio" food all spread out. It was delicious! We had a good time visiting with all the family. Riley didn't want to have anything to do with the animals, but the other kids enjoyed seeing the horse and goats.
On Sunday, April 27, I went to 8:00 sacrament meeting at the MTC and then to Relief Society with the hermanas at 10:00. Sis. Elaine Dalton, the new YW General President was the speaker. She gave a great talk! Her advice to the sister missionaries, who might be doubting their decision to go on a mission, was "Don't look back--Move forward. It was true and right when you decided to come, and it's true and right now." She told of how she likes to run with her husband. She's a better runner, but he's better on hills. One time when they were running, he was ahead of her on a hill and she called to him and said she was going back to the car. He called back, "Susan! Don't go back when you're in the middle of the hill!" She said that was good advice, and she's always remembered it. She said you need to keep going so you can see the magnificent vista from the top of the hill. It's the same with missions and with life in general.
Accompanying Sis. Dalton was her counselor in the YW General Presidency, Sis. Dibb. She's also Pres. Monson' daughter. Sis. Dalton asked Sis. Dibb to speak for a few minutes. She spoke about how we need to remember the times in our lives when we have felt the Savior's love for us and let those rememberances help us through difficult times. Then, when Sis. Dalton spoke again, she said that Pres. Monson loves the Lord enough to let his only daughter serve in the YW General Presidency. It's a very time-consuming calling, and Sis. Dalton knew that Sis. Dibb could also be very helpful to her parents at this busy time in their lives; but Pres. Monson called his daughter to serve in the YW General Presidency. Sis. Dalton went on to remind the sisters that "the Lord will assist you at times to do what seems nearly impossible."
For Sunday Dinner that night, we celebrated Nate's birthday a little late. Sarah and Joel made some delicious chicken enchiladas which everyone enjoyed. Eliza had a lot of fun playing with the cousins and getting acquainted with them.
On Monday, April 28, I went over to Lindy's to stay with Sidney while she took Riley to the doctor. It turns out that Riley has strep throat. Poor little thing. Camden said, "I don't think I gave it to her." (She was remembering the time that she turned out to be the strep carrier who had made everyone in the family sick.)
On Tuesday, April 29, I went with Sarah, Joel and Eliza up to Ikea to buy a little high chair ($24) to use while Eliza is here. That's the first time I've been to Ikea, and I enjoyed seeing all the cool stuff there. We had a tasty lunch--mac 'n' cheese for Eliza, pasta with marinara sauce for Sarah and me, and Swedish meatballs for Joel. I also got some of the meatballs to take home to Rich.
On Tuesday evening, Steven and I went to the devotional at the MTC. Elder W. Craig Zwick and his wife were the speakers. Sis. Zwick reminded the missionaries that "God is counting on you." Elder Zwick talked about ways we can come to know the Savior: (1) Recognize the Spirit, (2) Treasure up the doctrines of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, (3) Be exactly obedient, and (4) Sustain and follow the counsel of our Church leaders.
On Thursday, May 1, I went with Julie out to Thanksgiving Point for Colleen Hanks' daughter Heather's wedding reception. It was held in the Garden Room and was very nice. Earlier in the day I had picked up a gift from the Club friends for the wedding: a chrome 4-slice toaster and a bamboo pepper grinder from Bed, Bath and Beyond where the wedding couple was registered.
From Saturday, May 3, to Wednesday, May 7, was Steven's and my trip to Arizona. That was sure a fun trip. (See earlier blog.)
Sunday, May 11, was Mother's Day. I went to 8:00 Sacrament Meeting at the MTC where Steven and I both spoke. Steven told me to keep it short because the five missionaries who have been delayed going to Mexico (now District X) would all be speaking. They all gave nice short talks about what they liked best about being at the MTC and bore their testimonies. I was going to give my obedience talk, but decided to tell them about Elder Caldwell instead. He was an elder from the early days of our time at the MTC who had been delayed four weeks going into the mission. He thought he had been forgotten by everyone, even the Lord. One day when he was feeling down, he prayed that the special general authority speaker that day would shake his hand as a signal that the Lord hadn't forgotten him. Elder Caldwell was able to get a seat on the front row in the meeting. The speaker turned out to be Pres. Monson who, after concluding his talk, waved at the missionaries and then walked out the door by the podium. Elder Caldwell thought to himself that now he knew for sure that the Lord had forgotten him along with everyone else. But then, Pres. Monson came back in through the door and walked right up to Elder Caldwell and shook his hand and the hand of the missionary next to him. As he shook Elder Caldwell's hand, Pres. Monson said, "Good luck, Elder." That made Elder Caldwell know for sure that the Lord knew where he was and that everything would be all right. I told the missionaries in District X that it was the same for them. I also told about being in Holbrook the previous week and that we had attended the same ward that Pres. Taylor had left from for his mission 40 years ago, and that 40 years ago Pres. Taylor was where they are now.
We had a fun Mother's Day here with the family on Sunday evening. Joel and Sarah fixed a delicious hot chicken salad and broccoli salad for dinner, which was very tasty. Then we had key lime pie for dessert. Yummy! I got some very nice Mother's Day gifts: a cute apron from the Barrett family, a fridge magnet from Camden (which she bought with her own money), a Gerald Ford stamp folio from Richard, and a nice taupe skirt from Steven. Tiffany called to say "Happy Mother's Day," and that her card was in the mail. She wondered why it was taking so long. All in all it was a great Mother's Day; and it's been a busy, great past few weeks. Lots happening!
1 comment:
It was fun to read a recap of the month--it sure was busy (and fun)! I loved the Elder Caldwell story--that's a good one.
Post a Comment