Sunday, December 2, 2007

Christmas Stories

Tonight after Sunday dinner, we went downstairs and had some Christmas stories around the fire. Lindy read two stories from their "Christmas Devotions" book--one for Dec. 1 and one for Dec. 2. It was a lot of fun to be down there by the fire with Lindy and Nate and the little girls. Sidney sat in the little rocking chair and rocked and rocked with a big smile on her face. At dinner Lindy handed her about a half a slice of bread and Sidney looked at her like, "For me? You're actually giving me a big piece of bread instead of breaking it into little pieces?" Then at treat time, Lindy gave her a whole cookie and Sidney looked like she couldn't believe it. It was a fun evening. For dinner we had meatloaf, potatoes, corn, and bread. Riley had a harder time chowing down on the meatloaf than usual, but she made it through the required number of bites. After dinner she sang "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" into the microphone while wearing the purple crown on her head. Camden enjoyed playing and listening to the stories.

After the festivities were over and the Barretts went home, Steven and I went to Berg Mortuary in Provo for my friend, Colleen Hanks' mom, Vera Millett, who passed away. She was 97 years old and had actually been doing pretty well until she got a staph infection. Last Christmas, for our club Christmas party, we had dinner at Sandy Dallin's and then put together three gift baskets to take to three of the girls' parents. We took a basket to Mary Ann Jackson's dad, Bob Bunker; one to Susan Rogers' mom, Noreen Payne; and one to Colleen's mom, Vera. All three were still living their in their homes at the time. Colleen said her mom really appreciated the visit and talked about it for months afterwards. I'm glad we were able to make those visits--especially to Vera since she has now passed away.

When I talked to Tiffany this evening she said she had seen Elder David Loveless at stake conference today. He told her to tell her mom to tell his mom 'hello.' So I delivered the message. That's fun that she runs into him occassionally. Eleven more days and Tiff will be home for Christmas break. We're looking forward to having her home for awhile--Camden and Riley are especially looking forward to their sleepover with Auntie Tiff.

Today at the MTC, I just went for Fast and Testimony meeting since there was no Relief Society there today. They have mission conference there on Fast Sunday and no Relief Society. So I attended Relief Society in the home ward. Susan Allen gave the lesson from the booklet, "Preparing to Enter the Holy Temple." Two things from the lesson stood out especially to me: From p. 1 it says: "The temple transforms the individual and makes abundantly worthwhile any efforts made to get there." (I added the italics.) Then on p. 18 it says: "As you put your clothing in the locker you leave your cares and concerns and distractions there with them." That is a good visual reminder, I think, of how we should leave our worldly distractions and concerns in the locker as we leave to attend a session. Just put everything in the locker and lock it all up while we go concentrate on the spiritual aspects of the temple.

Karalie called this morning and said that her birthday party was a success and all who made it there (about 100) had a good time. I'm glad everything went well. I was sorry that we weren't able to make it, but sometimes we have to defer to the weather. It's a beautiful sunny (but cold) wintery day out there today. Too bad the storm couldn't have been a day earlier or later. But Happy #50 Birthday today, Karalie!

No comments: